Monday, November 5, 2012

Mo money mo problems?

I lived a life of financial freedom until the day I found out I was pregnant. Working in the service industry, not only did I always have cash in my pocket, I  had a hefty savings account too. I have always been good with my money, besides my obsession with buying clothes, shoes, and lattes; I never have spent much of my money. I was always saving for my next trip. In the service industry you can make as much or as little money as you wish. At one point I was working a sales and marketing job during the day, and slangin tequila come nightfall. The money was rollin in. I had just met r.a.w. at that point of my life so things were smooth sailing. Fresh love and a butt load of cash. Things quickly changed when we found out I was plus one in my belly. All the money we had saved to go traveling was now going towards a stroller, car seat, diapers...all grown up, real life stuff.

R.a.w's life was and still is dictated by finances. It seems like the only thing that matters to him is money. Instant gratification is the name of his game. Bartending. Poker playing.
Delayed gratification is the name of mine.

"Deferred gratification, or delayed gratification, is the ability to resist the temptation for an immediate reward and wait for a later reward. Generally, delayed gratification is associated with resisting a smaller but more immediate reward in order to receive a larger or more enduring reward later."

I have a few friends that have money, but most of us don't. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like most of us poor folk enjoy the small things much more than the rich. I realize that a latte truly isn't something a poor person should be buying, but if its any consolation every single sip I appreciate so much. I don't leave a drop, and the heavenly JJ bean taste lingers in my mouth most of the day. I would love nothing more than to have a new Range Rover. One of my dreams is to click my remote control key to turn on my rover on a cold cold vancouver morning let er warm up, slip on my louboutin's, head out the door, drop Luca at Montessori and swing by my 'job' volunteering at the local hospital. Would I be happy? Or would I miss the struggle?  Somehow I get off on making a meal for under $3, and the fact my house is one of the coziest I know and nothing I own wasn't donated or bought at a thrift store. My single mommy friend (who also has pennies in her bank account) and I always sit in class joking about how we ate air for lunch. mmmmmm....air.

All that being said, obviously I am going to school so I can have a better life for Luca and I. So I can buy everything organic and something other than 1.5 liters of copper moon for my red wine fix. Someday I will own a house and a land rover and be able to choose to send Luca to private school if I wish. 
From experience-do you think mo money equals mo problemos?

Is it all about the benjamins baby?

xo

2 comments:

  1. The funny thing is...I bet one day will come when you are sitting comfortably in your new house cooking up fancy organic dinners in your kitchen, and you will probably reminisce about the days when you and Luca ate your $3 dinners together in the cozy quarters of your current abode. Humans are funny like that. Especially mamas.

    One of the nurses I work with is a single mom. She is AMAZING. She works full time, has a daughter and her moved from England to here when her girl was 2. She somehow manages to pay a nanny full time wages and get on with things with no child support. The most amazing part is her outlook. Her optimism. Her ability to make things work. I am in awe of her. Especially those night shifts where she goes home and doesn't sleep in order to save on nanny care...than goes right back to the second night shift for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's so true, when I am able to buy $18 bricks of cheese ill be missing our "avocado and nothing sandwiches."
      I love that, nurses are amazing.

      Delete